Does anyone think this is good?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Cody

Does anyone think this is good?

Post by Cody »

OK, I am a freshman in college and am going to apply this year for the scholarship. My question is that the website says only the top 50% in each degree move on, so does anyone know how many physics majors apply?

Does anyone think I have a shot with these:

High School GPA: 3.44/4.0
Top 10% in High School
Graduated High School in three years
1330 without writing on the SAT
President of the Society of Physics Students at my university
In the Honors program at my university
Majoring in Applied Physics with a minor in mathematics
About to start research with my professor on Scientific Reasoning and Optics which should be published in a scholarly journal by the end of the semester.
My references would be my research professor and another professor in the department who is the adviser for SPS

Chris Moulder

Re: Does anyone think this is good?

Post by Chris Moulder »

Your GPA is a little low, but your experiences are good. I don't recall the number of physics apps, but I know Mech, EE, and Aero are the strong majority.

Cody

Re: Does anyone think this is good?

Post by Cody »

It might be a little higher I couldn't remember exactly. Our valedictorian wasn't much higher than mine though. I was really glad my professor asked me to do some research because I feel like most freshman aren't doing that sort of thing yet, so hopefully that will set me apart. Is is that big of a disadvantage being a freshman? Is there anything else I can do to make myself more desirable? Does anyone know of any other like programs I could apply for as well?