Specific field?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Kathy

Specific field?

Post by Kathy »

Hello,

I had a question, I am going into a Captive Wildlife Care and Education degree. Is there any way that this degree could translate into something that the DoD would want? I am a freshman in a community college right now, but I won't be applying till I am a Sophomore, getting ready to transfer to a 4 year college. My main focus is to conserve big cat species, I know that wouldn't really be a major concern of the DoD so I am wondering what I could do for them that would still get me the same degree. I wouldn't mind working with aquatic animals such as dolphins. Would the DoD have any want or job for someone with an animal behavior and care degree? Basically zoo keeping.

Also, the college I am planning to attend for this degree is not on their list? Does the DoD ever work with colleges that aren't on their "college" list?

Thank you,

Kathy

Chris Moulder

Re: Specific field?

Post by Chris Moulder »

They generally take a degree from any ABET certified program. However, as you may have suspected, your degree course does not align well with the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields that the scholarship is for. Biological research is probably as close as you'll get. I wouldn't be surprised if the government puts out other scholarships for animal research, but SMART is not what you're looking for.

Katherine

Post by Katherine »

Well I was thinking about it while over the last few days and came up with another thought. What about a research idea working with dolphins using them for reconnaissance. Adding to that, working out a better system of communication with the dolphins, where we could actually talk with them, and working out a way for a submarine to carry a trained reconnaissance dolphin with them on missions. Would this type of research prospect be interesting to the DoD?

Post by Guest »

Simply put your chances of getting this particular scholarship is about a million to one. In general, the people looking at the candidates are not looking to create a brand new program costing them money in order to find a spot for you in the DOD. That being said if you could find a field that the DOD is already pursuing under a program they already fund that could use your degree then your chances are likely much much higher.
On a seperate note we are cuurently fighting a war in the Middle East in the middle of the desert. Think of ideas that would be useful to warfighters that are in that environment....