Transcript and References

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
slag9563

Transcript and References

Post by slag9563 »

Do the references have to be from faculty at a university? When I click not from an institution it still requires a department and institution. Also, can I scan in an official copy of my transcript or does it have to be electronic? Thanks.

smart hopeful

Re: Transcript and References

Post by smart hopeful »

I had to scan my transcript because my school sends out the electronic transcripts in an encrypted format and so I have to scan them so they're visible. As far as references go, faculty references are your number one "in" because the questions references will need to answer are in terms of your placement in classes. I listed my employer as one of my references and faculty I had a good relationship with as the rest.

slag9563

Post by slag9563 »

I’m a freshman so I don’t really know my professors yet.

Smart hopeful

Post by Smart hopeful »

Then I would spend the next couple of weeks getting to know them on a decent level. Visit their office hours and such and ask if you can use them as a reference. Take the initiative and get to know them then.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

I used an employer on campus, one professor and one employer from my internship. If you've had a summer job before that would be a good choice and if you have someone like a faculty adviser or a professor you feel you could get to know better than another go to their office hours and get to know them. Ask questions about the classes you're in or ask about what future classes they teach. Even ask what they studied in school and what you're interested it. It'll have to be a rapid get to know you in a few weeks, but you don't need it until December!

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Also for transcript I scanned in a copy that I had sent to myself then I also had to send an official version which i used the electronic format for.

slag9563

Post by slag9563 »

What if I had a teacher in high school for calculus that is now a college professor? Could she write me one or does it need to be from my current university?

Smart hopeful

Post by Smart hopeful »

You could try that. It's something. But what the above user said is still your best chance for getting good references.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

slag9563 wrote:What if I had a teacher in high school for calculus that is now a college professor? Could she write me one or does it need to be from my current university?
Last year it had to be a professor using your college's official letter head so look into that to see if it's still a rule. However, for your second reference that high school calc teacher is probably a great idea!

slag9563

Post by slag9563 »

So I could use my current calculus professor, my high school calculus teacher, and someone else. Does the third one need to be from my university or can it be an engineer I know that works for the Department of Defense?

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

slag9563 wrote:So I could use my current calculus professor, my high school calculus teacher, and someone else. Does the third one need to be from my university or can it be an engineer I know that works for the Department of Defense?
It could be anyone!