Very Specific Field...

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Very Specific Field...

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I want to study Optical Engineering at Rose-Hulman. I'm currently at a DoD facility doing just that - optical engineering. My branch chief wants me to continue working there through college, with whatever program I can get involved with.

Is it unrealistic to hope that I can get to work in the same place? Will my branch chief have any weight if he requests me?

Chris Moulder

Re: Very Specific Field...

Post by Chris Moulder »

This sounds similar to a follow-on award. Basically, you have to make it past the 50% cut, and then work with your supervisor to make sure that they select you. It's described in a little more detail around here somewhere, but I'll have to look for it another day.

Post by Guest »

Thanks very much for the response!

I did a couple searches but didn't find the thread. If you happen to come across it, I'd appreciate a link.

Thank you sir

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

I wasn't able to find the posts, but I know there is a bunch of information in the SMART scholarship handbook: http://smart.asee.org/assets/File/2010% ... ndbook.pdf

I can't find it on their website anymore, but the link still works.

Post by Guest »

I did something similiar to you. I work at China Lake and heard about this program. I applied and was accepted by the program and because my manager knew to look for me I was chosen.
What you need to do to be sure you make it past the cuts is to have good grades and more importantly make sure at least one of your supervisers will give you a GOOD recommendation letter that will really speak to your abilities. If you have those two things it should all be fine.