AWARD PORTAL IS OPEN

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: AWARD PORTAL IS OPEN

Post by guest »

AngryRejectee wrote:
biochemist wrote:
AngryRejectee wrote:SMART also monitors this unofficial forum. We're exposing the leaks in their process. They know how bad their process is for something running under the DoD. Some of you being rejected may have been added to their award portal just so in the future, students do not know a month ahead of time if they're getting the award. When you email SMART and ask questions, it feels like you're getting answers from 1980s robots. I got waitlisted/rejected and I know my app was one of the most competitive, at least top 10. No facilities interviewed me because I only put USAMRIID as a preference which no longer participate in the SMART program. Yet, I was able to select it because the app system was outdated. SMART, if you're reading this, do better, be better, STOP SCREWING PEOPLE's FUTURES LIKE THAT.
I did not know that! I put USAMRIID as well. I was in contact with some affiliated labs, and they seem to now know what I was talking about when I mentioned I applied to SMART. Even contacted Dr. Bavari, and he just said he forwarded my email to HR. Oh well. I hope they update the list. As a biochemist who wants to work for the DoD, it's really hard finding an appropriate place.
I'm a cell biologist with only 2 years left to finish my PhD. In my case, USAMRIID was my only preference choice because it was my favorite. I wanted to show them how much I wanted to work there and decided to leave the other 2 slots empty. It was a choice during the application process but it's no longer part of the program, you can't even find it on their website now. Facilities would not even try to interview you if they know you're not interested in working for them. SMART screwed me over!!!
Listing your preferences does not limit where your application gets sent to. If a SF is interested in you based on your experience, they will contact you.

I was interviewed by a SF that I did not list in my preferences.

SMART-ish

Re: AWARD PORTAL IS OPEN

Post by SMART-ish »

guest_ne wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Do the numbers add up on how many received the award? I know there's no way of knowing this but maybe the full 200-300 were not awarded tonight?
If that college list posted a while back was correct it was only ~150 awardees.
my school said one from 2017 for navy and thats exactly what i applied for but got the rejectee email.... and had temp closed
My school was not listed for a 2017 award. I was getting the temp closed message in the first round, and I got the award. So I don't think the school list was very accurate.