You Can Probably Tell Right Now if You've Gotten the Award

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Anon5

You Can Probably Tell Right Now if You've Gotten the Award

Post by Anon5 »

If you log on to the award portal (https://smart.asee.org/award) you will find one of two error messages:

"Award Portal Temporarily Closed"

This means that you will likely get award.

"Either the email address or the password you entered is incorrect."

This means you were not selected to receive the award.

Re: You Can Probably Tell Right Now if You've Gotten the Awa

Post by guest »

What are you basing this assumption off of?

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

guest wrote:What are you basing this assumption off of?
1. This has happened in previous years in exactly the same fashion.

Post by guest »

Isn't this what the previous thread was arguing about? It's probably a good indication, but SMART says its meaningless -.. so, it's meaningless.

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

guest wrote:Isn't this what the previous thread was arguing about? It's probably a good indication, but SMART says its meaningless -.. so, it's meaningless.
1. They said this last time and it was a lie.

2. Why would SMART admit it made a mistake?

Gouest

Post by Gouest »

I don't believe this

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

Gouest wrote:I don't believe this
Doesn't make it any less true.

Gouest

Post by Gouest »

I mean I'm getting the temp closed message but I really don't want to get my hopes up. I had a lot of interviews that went well as well as 3 recommendations. I just don't want to get my hopes up and not get it.

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

Gouest wrote:I mean I'm getting the temp closed message but I really don't want to get my hopes up. I had a lot of interviews that went well as well as 3 recommendations. I just don't want to get my hopes up and not get it.
Congratulations on receiving the award.

Post by guest »

Anon5 wrote:
Can you show where and how exactly you know this has happened? What posting for example were you looking at that shows this?

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

guest wrote:
Anon5 wrote:
Can you show where and how exactly you know this has happened? What posting for example were you looking at that shows this?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1390

You can also dig through a whole bunch of 2016 stuff and find it.

Ghssff

Post by Ghssff »

Can you share some 2016 posts regarding it?

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

Ghssff wrote:Can you share some 2016 posts regarding it?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1257&start=100

Check out pages 4,5 and 6.

Even if you don't believe what people are claiming happened last year, you have a whole bunch of recommended people simultaneously claiming the exact same new error message.

I mean cmon guys, its 1+1.

Guest147

Post by Guest147 »

I mean, it really doesn't matter one way or another. I think there's good reason to assume that those getting the "portal closed" error are getting the award; however, we have no idea how that group of people was selected. There's still about a week left before awards are officially announced and we have no idea how they are going about entering those names into the awards database. It's also not crazy to think that they started the migration and stopped once they found out users on this forum were using it to find out if they were getting awards or not. Additionally, there's really no reason to assume that no one else will be added to the awards database between now and the official announcement. FINALLY, even for those who don't get the award right away, we KNOW there will be a second round of awards and at least some of us will be accepted during that phase.

To summarize, if you're getting the portal closed error, congrats; you're probably getting the award. If not, don't worry about it. No sense convincing yourself a week or two ahead of the announcement that you're out of the running. You won't know that until the second round of picks is made in (I think) June.

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

Guest147 wrote:I mean, it really doesn't matter one way or another. I think there's good reason to assume that those getting the "portal closed" error are getting the award; however, we have no idea how that group of people was selected. There's still about a week left before awards are officially announced and we have no idea how they are going about entering those names into the awards database. It's also not crazy to think that they started the migration and stopped once they found out users on this forum were using it to find out if they were getting awards or not. Additionally, there's really no reason to assume that no one else will be added to the awards database between now and the official announcement. FINALLY, even for those who don't get the award right away, we KNOW there will be a second round of awards and at least some of us will be accepted during that phase.

To summarize, if you're getting the portal closed error, congrats; you're probably getting the award. If not, don't worry about it. No sense convincing yourself a week or two ahead of the announcement that you're out of the running. You won't know that until the second round of picks is made in (I think) June.

95% of people who are going to awarded know that right now. Don't promote wishful thinking.

Guest147

Post by Guest147 »

Anon5 wrote:
Guest147 wrote:I mean, it really doesn't matter one way or another. I think there's good reason to assume that those getting the "portal closed" error are getting the award; however, we have no idea how that group of people was selected. There's still about a week left before awards are officially announced and we have no idea how they are going about entering those names into the awards database. It's also not crazy to think that they started the migration and stopped once they found out users on this forum were using it to find out if they were getting awards or not. Additionally, there's really no reason to assume that no one else will be added to the awards database between now and the official announcement. FINALLY, even for those who don't get the award right away, we KNOW there will be a second round of awards and at least some of us will be accepted during that phase.

95% of people who are going to awarded know that right now. Don't promote wishful thinking.

You literally have no way of knowing that. I'm just trying to counter-act the spread of gloom and doom. There may be some discouraging signs but no one should give up hope (unless they didn't make it to the semi-finalist round).

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

Guest147 wrote: You literally have no way of knowing that. I'm just trying to counter-act the spread of gloom and doom. There may be some discouraging signs but no one should give up hope (unless they didn't make it to the semi-finalist round).

You can reasonably conclude with all given evidence.

Guest147

Post by Guest147 »

Anon5 wrote:
Guest147 wrote: You literally have no way of knowing that. I'm just trying to counter-act the spread of gloom and doom. There may be some discouraging signs but no one should give up hope (unless they didn't make it to the semi-finalist round).

You can reasonably conclude with all given evidence.
With the given evidence, you can reasonable conclude that SOME people are PROBABLY getting the award. There's no evidence to assume that ONLY the people getting that message are getting the award. And even if you did choose to come to that conclusion, there's still the second round of picks which comes in the summer. I think it was between 10-15% of awardees last year that were picked in the second round. Considering our chances (if you go by last years data) were only 12% when we began the application process, I'd say 10-15% for a second round pick is nothing to dismiss.

The point is, there's simply not enough information at this time for anyone to conclude that they're not getting the scholarship. It isn't "wishful thinking," it's merely a matter of holding onto whatever hope you had when you chose to apply for the scholarship. Don't make this process more agonizing for yourself or others than it needs to be by fixating on a small uncertain detail that IN NO WAY indicates that you'll be rejected when everything is all said and done.

Post by guest »

Any sign if perhaps we'd be notified this Thursday or Friday based on recent events? Anyone have any thoughts?

Anon5

Post by Anon5 »

guest wrote:Any sign if perhaps we'd be notified this Thursday or Friday based on recent events? Anyone have any thoughts?
I think they might announce Thursday or Friday. Seems like everything is in place.

Guesstt

Post by Guesstt »

Anon5 wrote:
guest wrote:Any sign if perhaps we'd be notified this Thursday or Friday based on recent events? Anyone have any thoughts?
I think they might announce Thursday or Friday. Seems like everything is in place.
Other than preference checks.

Post by Guest »

Guesstt wrote:
Anon5 wrote:
Other than preference checks.

One would think. But last year, when they started moving the recipients to the award portal, they already knew what SF they were going to. It was in the award letter that they had early access to. The fact that it's late April and *nobody* has received a call? Makes me think they aren't doing them.

havecourageandbekind

Post by havecourageandbekind »

As someone said on the last forum you don't know which response means yes or which means no. For all we know they reset all the awardees passwords and we cant change it right now so we have no chance of getting in and we have to click some link in offerror emails.

So literally either message could mean either thing. Stop counting people out. It's not over yet.

Anon1

Post by Anon1 »

havecourageandbekind wrote:As someone said on the last forum you don't know which response means yes or which means no. For all we know they reset all the awardees passwords and we cant change it right now so we have no chance of getting in and we have to click some link in offerror emails.

So literally either message could mean either thing. Stop counting people out. It's not over yet.
They wouldn't move everyone's account over and only change the passwords of those who are getting it. That makes no sense and would require more work than just migrating awardees.