Notification

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
SMARTapp

Notification

Post by SMARTapp »

Any idea what 'by the beginning of May' means? Is that just to buy more time for the rest of April, or is that more or less an assurance that we won't hear anything until at least May?

Re: Notification

Post by Guest »

The first or second thursday/friday in May. Just sit back and patiently wait -.. That's all we can do now.

Post by guest »

"By the beginning of May" probably means they are shooting for April 27/28. One of those will be the final workday of April depending on whether that are a 9/80 schedule and how it falls. Considering the running late notice came out on Thursday the 6th. That should make the estimated date Friday, April 28th.

eruwaedhiel

Post by eruwaedhiel »

The NDSEG notifications (also managed by ASEE) were sent out yesterday evening. ASEE had told someone on the phone that they would be released "by April 15th", so what happened supports the late April release hypothesis given above :)

Post by Guest »

Additionally, the hiring freeze is supposed to be lifted today. Not sure if/how that will affect SMART, but who knows?

Post by guest »

Hi SMART Leaders,

The 7th of April came and went without notification to any Scholars...Looks
like there is a delay due to DoD's continued operation under a CR. So
here's the bad and the good of it. Notifications are delayed until the
first week in May however, this may mean that the program will be funded at
the higher level increasing the number of scholars that we all get. Please
be patient and I will keep you informed along the way.

v/r,

Bill

William J. Cavenaugh
SMART Program Liaison, USAF

Post by guest »

guest wrote:Hi SMART Leaders,

v/r,

Bill

xxx

copperLaminate

Post by copperLaminate »

...So just to clarify, did someone who works for SMART (a "SMART Leader") just post that internal e-mail as a guest? And a CR is a continuing resolution (according to my google attempts)?

Post by guest »

copperLaminate wrote:...So just to clarify, did someone who works for SMART (a "SMART Leader") just post that internal e-mail as a guest? And a CR is a continuing resolution (according to my google attempts)?
Shared message I got from someone who interviewed me at Air Force HQ. I asked for any status update on their end, and it appears they have an internal SMART liaison that messaged them about potential hires. They just forwarded it to me...

But it mentions a clearer date of notification and insights into funding, perhaps this allows for more scholars as funding loosens up. Not sure if this is site specific

guest02

Post by guest02 »

Bill Cavenaugh is the public liaison for the Air Force division of the SMART program, so at the very least, the first week of May deadline applies to all USAF-affiliated labs. It seems as if all the scholars have been chosen already, and its just a matter of when the DoD can be sure they have the money. A CR is a continuing resolution, which basically means that Congress is temporarily using last year's budget plan while they're working on a new budget.

On the bright side, more DoD funding might mean more scholarships!

eruwaedhiel

Post by eruwaedhiel »

I emailed SMART yesterday asking if there was any chance we might hear back in time for the NDSEG response deadline (April 25th). I was hoping for some information about the delay, or mention about why SMART is so late but NDSEG was not (since both are managed by ASEE and require lists from the DoD). This is what I got back:

"Thank you for your email. Notification of awards will go out in May.
Please let us know if you have any other questions."

So no new information, and looks like we won't be hearing by the end of April either. :(

guest02

Post by guest02 »

I guess that means May 4th or 5th.

GuestTRL

Post by GuestTRL »

Or the end of May/Early June

guest02

Post by guest02 »

GuestTRL wrote:Or the end of May/Early June
The email from Bill Cavenaugh earlier in the thread specifically mentioned the first week of May, and past announcements have almost always come on Thursdays or Fridays. There could be more delays, but it looks like the 4th or 5th is the plan for now.

Tacos123

Post by Tacos123 »

What if there's a government shutdown and no clear resolution in sight? Unsure of the funding mechanisms here.

tacos123

Post by tacos123 »

In fact, it's quite possible that, because of the sequestration, that we're going to have a tiny number of awards this year or we're going to wait all the way until July for awards and still quite possibility get a tiny number of awards because Congress isn't funding the DoD fully.

Post by Guest »

The hiring freeze is over and the DoD has a larger budget. I wouldn't worry too much about the scholarship program. I think having a new president slows everything down. Especially considering they were not allowed to officially hire anyone during the freeze.

guest04

Post by guest04 »

guest wrote:Hi SMART Leaders,

v/r,

Bill

William J. Cavenaugh
Lol Bill is such a tease

nsakmar

Post by nsakmar »

Has anyone been notified yet about the scholarship?

chlo-ball

Post by chlo-ball »

Have awards been sent out? Are people notified who have NOT received the scholarship?

Thanks!