SF-86

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
physics dude

SF-86

Post by physics dude »

Is everyone having fun filling out the SF-86?

I have a quick question with for anyone with insight. In section 9 you are asked to list someone that knew you while you lived at "that" address, is it okay to list the same person in section 10 (someone that knew you in college)? With respect to section 12, there is no mention about listing the same person for sections 9 and 10.

Just thought I'd try here before sending them an email. Awesome site by the way. I wish I had found it sooner.

Thanks!

Chris Moulder

Re: SF-86

Post by Chris Moulder »

If I remember correctly, you cannot reuse references in a different section. I believe it yells at you when you do the final review (if you're doing it online)...or maybe it said that in a footnote somewhere by the character references. Either way, pretty sure you can't

Bill

Post by Bill »

It says to not leave anything blank and that you should put N/A, but should I even put N/A for sections it tells me to skip??? (Yeah I know... I'm finishing this up last minute..)

SMARTGuide

Post by SMARTGuide »

Bill,
It’s OK to put N/A anywhere you need to leave a field blank. If you are ultimately offered an award you will have enter the information into a special electronic system that will prohibit entering data into fields you are not supposed to fill out. And before anyone complains about possibly having to do this twice, yes, I know, the right thing to do is to figure out a way to make applicants only have to do this once. However, the people who render the legal decisions about what can and cannot be included in our applicant review process and the people managing the systems that support clearance processing apparently don’t talk so this is what we’re stuck with. My apologies, but take solace in knowing that we here in the SMART Program Office absolutely feel your pain; we have to review the approximately 16 page form from 3,400 applicants (54,400 sheets of paper) in the next 15 days.
Within a week of receiving the form, you will get an email from the SMART Program Office confirming we received it. Thank you for taking the time to be conscientious about making sure you fill out the form correctly. If you have other questions you are welcome to send them to SMARTsecurity@nps.edu.

Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Hello,

When will applicants be notified if they are a finalist? Will the applicants that are not receiving an award be notified?

Thanks

blackbishop

Post by blackbishop »

Its gonna be a while. Last year emails came out in March.

Post by Guest »

In an e-mail regarding transcripts and the SF-86, it said

"If you are named a Finalist for the SMART Scholarship you will be notified in early February and mailed two (2) SF-87 Forms (fingerprint cards) to complete and return by February 28, 2010"

We probably won't hear until late March if we are awarded a SMART Scholarship, but it looks like we will know if we are a finalist in early February.

Mathew

Post by Mathew »

Guest wrote:In an e-mail regarding transcripts and the SF-86, it said

"If you are named a Finalist for the SMART Scholarship you will be notified in early February and mailed two (2) SF-87 Forms (fingerprint cards) to complete and return by February 28, 2010"

We probably won't hear until late March if we are awarded a SMART Scholarship, but it looks like we will know if we are a finalist in early February.

Thanks....<fingers crossed>

jlit

Post by jlit »

Will they notify us if we are turned down as either a finalist or for the award all together? or is it the type of thing when we are only contacted if we are accepted?

Post by Guest »

Hopefully they will notify us either way, but hopefully we will just hear we are a finalist and not have to worry about that...<fingers crossed>

mst

Post by mst »

Got the e-mail today notifying about semi-finalists. Check your inboxes and good luck!