Has anyone received any indication of advancing or not?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Has anyone received any indication of advancing or not?

Post by guest »

I have not received any kind of notification yet. Also, I still have access to my application.

ForensicMS

Re: Has anyone received any indication of advancing or not?

Post by ForensicMS »

I have not either, and I can still log in. I was hoping we would receive an email, but it seems that they are just going to call randomly.

BSAero

Post by BSAero »

I heard from one of the facilities that final decisions would be emailed out in mid to late April.

Post by Guest »

BSAero wrote:I heard from one of the facilities that final decisions would be emailed out in mid to late April.
That's interesting. My interviewer told me to expect decisions first week of April.

BSAero

Post by BSAero »

Guest wrote:
BSAero wrote:I heard from one of the facilities that final decisions would be emailed out in mid to late April.
That's interesting. My interviewer told me to expect decisions first week of April.
Maybe I was just told mid to late April so that they could give themselves more time in case they needed it. And so I could be pleasantly surprised if and when it came 'early' at the beginning of April.

Post by Guest »

BSAero wrote:
Guest wrote:
Maybe I was just told mid to late April so that they could give themselves more time in case they needed it. And so I could be pleasantly surprised if and when it came 'early' at the beginning of April.
Oh yeah, I wasn't attacking you or your interviewer. I just wanted to let people know that different people were being told different things. My interviewer told me that once he passes on his recommendation to SMART, he doesn't know what quite happens from there.

SMART207

Post by SMART207 »

So all of your interviewer mentioned that they would recommend you? Mine just told me if I was flexible to work on some other projects rather than the project I mentioned in my application.

Post by guest »

Yeah, he told me he would recommend me. He did caution me though that that doesn't necessarily mean I'll get SMART. He's not sure what the methodology is, but he does know that a recommendation doesn't guarantee funding.

Post by Guest »

As someone who went through this process last year, I can tell you that the next official communication you will get will be about the first round of final decisions in April. If you were recommended by more than one facility, someone from SMART might call you to review your preferences. Also, it is true that a recommendation is not a guarantee, though I don't know the statistics on that. Basically, every sponsoring facility has X number of slots it can fill, and if the individual labs/groups/teams within that sponsoring facility combined recommend Y>X applicants, then unfortunately some are going to be dropped. At least, that's how I understood it.

My recommendation would be to try and forget about SMART for the next 3-5 weeks and just relax. You'll hear about it soon enough.

Post by Guest »

I'm a little confused here.

I never received a semifinalist email or otherwise. But I was interviewed by my top choice (who said they have 6 slots and were interviewing 7) on Jan 27. And I still have access to my application.

So where do I stand?

CW

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I'm a little confused here.

I never received a semifinalist email or otherwise. But I was interviewed by my top choice (who said they have 6 slots and were interviewing 7) on Jan 27. And I still have access to my application.

So where do I stand?

CW
Wait...different program for the interview. Scratch that. ;)

lostapplicant

Post by lostapplicant »

I received semifinalist notice but haven't heard from any facility and haven't received any notification is my semifinalist announcement.

I'm a little worried about my chance now since it seems like everyone been contacted by sponsoring facility.
Stressed :(

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

lostapplicant wrote:I received semifinalist notice but haven't heard from any facility and haven't received any notification is my semifinalist announcement.

I'm a little worried about my chance now since it seems like everyone been contacted by sponsoring facility.
Stressed :(

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat as you. I can still access the application, but haven't heard from any facilities. Here's to odds.

SMART2017

Post by SMART2017 »

I did receive an interview from my top choice SF but I am unprepared and I am not sure if I will even be recommended for scholarship. I see so many people getting interviews know that they will be recommended.

Post by Guest »

I've had four interviews total. Only one facility said they're for sure recommending me as 1 of 3 candidates their facility is given each year. The other two were general interviews where the interviewers asked me a series of questions and I'm not sure if I'll be recommended by them or not.