Do Interviews Lead to Actual Offers?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Tacos2

Do Interviews Lead to Actual Offers?

Post by Tacos2 »

I had an interview today with an SF and I got good vibes from it.

I think they mentioned that they would submit my name to SMART.

If my name is submitted to SMART, how likely is it that I am chosen for an award?

Re: Do Interviews Lead to Actual Offers?

Post by guest »

According to the sticky post, about 2/3 of those recommended get offers.

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

According to last years statistics, only 12% of interviews leads to awards.

Bob25

Post by Bob25 »

Do you have like a link or source for that? Because in that case, that would actually make you less likely to receive the award if you got an interview.

groot

Post by groot »

I think abm guy might be a little confused- 12% is the percent accepted out of everyone who applied, not just out of those who were interviewed. 2/3 sounds about right.

keithhworth

Post by keithhworth »

I was called abruptly today from someone at a sponsoring facility I had on my list of preferences. I was so surprised, I had already denied my chance of being contacted by anyone. The "interview" was very informal, we talked about some of my background growing up with the military overseas, which I had mentioned in my application, we talked about what they do at Hanscom Air Force Base that's related to computer science. He asked me if the work sounded like something I was interested in doing, and, coincidentally, it was something that I think would be ideal, in any case.
The guy made no mention of the SMART program, but left me his number to call back if I had any questions... He let me know he was going to make a few more phone calls and then call it a week.
I'm planning on going to some professors tomorrow for advice and pointers, ask about good things to talk about, then call on Monday with some follow-up questions.

What does this mean? Does this make my chances to be selected any higher, or does the lack of mentioning the SMART program mean I am not a good candidate? >.<

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

groot wrote:I think abm guy might be a little confused- 12% is the percent accepted out of everyone who applied, not just out of those who were interviewed. 2/3 sounds about right.
Heres the source on my 12% figure. It says 12% of those reviewed, so from interview to acceptance might even be lower than 12%.
https://smart.asee.org/program_stats/2016_award_data

Brandon

Post by Brandon »

abm guy wrote:
groot wrote:I think abm guy might be a little confused- 12% is the percent accepted out of everyone who applied, not just out of those who were interviewed. 2/3 sounds about right.
Heres the source on my 12% figure. It says 12% of those reviewed, so from interview to acceptance might even be lower than 12%.
I'm pretty sure that's 12% out of the people who applied, since all if the applications have been reviewed one way or another, by the SMART board and/or my sponsoring facilities. It wouldn't make sense for them to provide statistics on just a single review process in the SMART program.

Post by guest »

Brandon wrote:
abm guy wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's 12% out of the people who applied, since all if the applications have been reviewed one way or another, by the SMART board and/or my sponsoring facilities. It wouldn't make sense for them to provide statistics on just a single review process in the SMART program.

Agreed, and considering that 239 people were awarded last year, if that was 12% of those interviewed then that would be 1992 interviews. That is a LOT of wasted time and money if about 1700 of those interviews result in nothing.

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

2011: 6900 application, 293 Awards, 4.3 Percent Acceptance Rate
2010: 3400 application, 298 Awards, 8.8 Percent Acceptance Rate
2009: 2200 application, 263 Awards, 12 Percent Acceptance Rate

Following that trend, and that 50% get eliminated on the first and second stage, then the remaining 50% get interviewed(possibly). Some of those interviewed will be recommended for review for the SMART program. That 12% is the percentage of people who were offered awards, given that they were recommend for review. This is my understanding of it, correct me if I'm wrong.

keithhworth

Post by keithhworth »

abm guy wrote:2011: 6900 application, 293 Awards, 4.3 Percent Acceptance Rate

Following that trend, and that 50% get eliminated on the first and second stage, then the remaining 50% get interviewed(possibly). Some of those interviewed will be recommended for review for the SMART program. That 12% is the percentage of people who were offered awards, given that they were recommend for review. This is my understanding of it, correct me if I'm wrong.
I highly doubt that the remaining 50% get interviewed. From my understanding, having read the posts on previous years with the SMART application process, the sponsoring facilities may or may not contact a candidate, so that is another hurdle to pass in itself. Check out the leading post in the General Questions and the Application index, it gives the breakdown of the selection process and the different stages.

keithhworth

Post by keithhworth »

keithhworth wrote:
abm guy wrote:2011: 6900 application, 293 Awards, 4.3 Percent Acceptance Rate

I highly doubt that the remaining 50% get interviewed. From my understanding, having read the posts on previous years with the SMART application process, the sponsoring facilities may or may not contact a candidate, so that is another hurdle to pass in itself. Check out the leading post in the General Questions and the Application index, it gives the breakdown of the selection process and the different stages.
Also: "In recent years, approximately 1/4 of all candidates reviewed by DoD agencies were recommended for review by the SMART Program Office. All others are removed for award consideration."

Post by Guest »

keithhworth wrote:I was called abruptly today from someone at a sponsoring facility I had on my list of preferences. I was so surprised, I had already denied my chance of being contacted by anyone. The "interview" was very informal, we talked about some of my background growing up with the military overseas, which I had mentioned in my application, we talked about what they do at Hanscom Air Force Base that's related to computer science. He asked me if the work sounded like something I was interested in doing, and, coincidentally, it was something that I think would be ideal, in any case.
The guy made no mention of the SMART program, but left me his number to call back if I had any questions... He let me know he was going to make a few more phone calls and then call it a week.
I'm planning on going to some professors tomorrow for advice and pointers, ask about good things to talk about, then call on Monday with some follow-up questions.

What does this mean? Does this make my chances to be selected any higher, or does the lack of mentioning the SMART program mean I am not a good candidate? >.<
Hanscom is where I got accepted when I applied! They said they get a short list of 50 people or so then narrow it down to like 10 to do interviews with and from those 10 they pick the person(s) they want. If I'm remembering correctly, so if that is true then you've made it pretty far. My interview was more fornal, but it was still a very comfortable atmosphere.

keithhworth

Post by keithhworth »

Guest wrote:
keithhworth wrote:I was called abruptly today from someone at a sponsoring facility I had on my list of preferences. I was so surprised, I had already denied my chance of being contacted by anyone. The "interview" was very informal, we talked about some of my background growing up with the military overseas, which I had mentioned in my application, we talked about what they do at Hanscom Air Force Base that's related to computer science. He asked me if the work sounded like something I was interested in doing, and, coincidentally, it was something that I think would be ideal, in any case.

Hanscom is where I got accepted when I applied! They said they get a short list of 50 people or so then narrow it down to like 10 to do interviews with and from those 10 they pick the person(s) they want. If I'm remembering correctly, so if that is true then you've made it pretty far. My interview was more fornal, but it was still a very comfortable atmosphere.
Hmm, okay. Maybe the call I make on Monday will be more like the interview then, where I am more prepared? But that's really cool, are you still affiliated with Hanscom AFB? Are you graduated yet?

SMART2017

Post by SMART2017 »

I wonder if getting an interview will give you higher chance of getting an offer. I got a phone call by a scientists but not HR recruiter from SSC Pacific San Diego.

Post by Guest »

You have to be picked up by a sponsoring facility in order to receive SMART, so it can only be a good thing. When I interviewed, I was told by the scientist that they just wanted to clear up some things with me to make sure I'm a good fit for them.