Any interviews or contact with SF yet??

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Smiles

Any interviews or contact with SF yet??

Post by Smiles »

Just a thread for anyone to post updates on getting contacted by an SF.

DATE:
HOW: Email, Phone, etc.
WHICH: What facility.

Thanks!

SMART 2017

Re: Any interviews or contact with SF yet??

Post by SMART 2017 »

I emailed SSC Pacific and they say if they find my application match what they need, they will contact me. So I think getting an interview is a very good sign, at least for SSC Pacific

dmparrow

Post by dmparrow »

A few days before I received my semifinalist email, I got a phone call from Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Station in Colorado. They told me that they had gotten my name from the SMART Scholarship, and wanted to know if I would be interested in working there. They said that my major had caught their eye (Fire Protection Engineer). I told them that I would most definitely be interested in working there and having them be my SF, but we did not set up an official interview or anything else.

remmett

Post by remmett »

I was contacted for an interview today and they want it done in the next week, don't really know what that means but I guess it is a good sign.

Post by Guest »

I was contacted a few weeks back, like two days after the semifinalist email came out. It was NSWC and they said that they could use my interest in research in their center. I told them I was very interested in working with them. They contacted me through email. I'm PhD student.

cogsstudent

Post by cogsstudent »

Hi all,

I have not yet received any word on interviews. I understand that not all SFs will interview all candidates that they choose. However, I am now wondering if being a cognitive science undergrad (looking for 1 year funding) student interested in research means that I will not be considered for positions. I am curious if any undergrads in research oriented fields have received interview requests yet.

Thanks!

SMARTREJECTEE

Post by SMARTREJECTEE »

Rejected!

Post by Guest »

Anyone else? I know that not every awardee gets an interview, and there's still a month or so left in the interview period, but I'm really nervous!

SMART Guy

Post by SMART Guy »

Date: 2/22/17
How: Email
Which: Hurlburt Field (Air Force), FL

Civil Engineering

Tacos

Post by Tacos »

Can I ask your stats SMART guy?

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

I got contact from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. They emailed me, after many attempts I was able to contact them through the phone. Interview tomorrow, will make follow up post tomorrow.

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

I was interviewed today, it was questions about what I did outside of school, and outside of studying. Seems they were interested in what non-academic hobbies I was participating in. They asked what a professor would think about me if they were to ask. They told me a little bit about the facilities and the work they do, they ask if I had any other interviews to see what facility they were competing against. They let me ask a few questions at the end. It seems more like they are getting a feel for what your passions are and they were prying for information that might cause issues with getting a clearance. The interview took about 15 minutes.

Anonon

Post by Anonon »

abm guy wrote:I was interviewed today.
Seems similar to my interview with Aberdeen at 2:00. Was it part of the WMRD?

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

I was interview for the CERDEC program they have. How long was your interview?

Anonon

Post by Anonon »

Just around 20 or so minutes with pretty standard questions regarding interests and experience.

Post by guest »

abm guy wrote:I was interview for the CERDEC program they have. How long was your interview?
I also had an interview with them last Friday but it lasted about 30 minutes. Asked pretty much the same questions that they asked you

sciguy

Post by sciguy »

I also was interviewed last Wednesday, NSWC Crane. They asked me standard question and told me to tell them a little about myself (academic and research background). Then, after the questions they let me ask some questions. It lasted around 45 minutes, I guess I talk too much lol. They told me they would be ranking my interview and they'll let me know my rank with regards to others, is that a common thing or am I being rejected already? Lol what about you guys, did they tell you something similar?

abm guy

Post by abm guy »

sciguy wrote:I also was interviewed last Wednesday, NSWC Crane. They asked me standard question and told me to tell them a little about myself (academic and research background). Then, after the questions they let me ask some questions. It lasted around 45 minutes, I guess I talk too much lol. They told me they would be ranking my interview and they'll let me know my rank with regards to others, is that a common thing or am I being rejected already? Lol what about you guys, did they tell you something similar?
At the end of my interview they informed me that they are finishing all the interviews this week, and that I should know if I made it through by the end of next week or the week after. I have the same feeling of being rejected already, my interview was short and some of the interviewers seemed unengaged.

MRiddle

Post by MRiddle »

SMART Guy wrote:Date: 2/22/17
Which: Hurlburt Field (Air Force), FL

Civil Engineering

I'm also a Civil Engineering major, but have not received an email yet. Are you an undergraduate student? Are you a veteran? Thanks.

Tacos

Post by Tacos »

CE undergrad with 3.96+Research Experience

Not a veteran.

No interviews, calls or emails yet.

aaronallblacks

Post by aaronallblacks »

No e-mails or phone calls as of yet. I am a Marylander who preferred sites in the DC-Baltimore-Alexandria Metro Area. I received my semi-finalist e-mail a couple of weeks ago. I'm growing more nervous by the day, answering every phone call very carefully haha.

Will have an A.A.S. in Computer Information Systems: PC & Network Management Focus this May at a 4.0 GPA.
Already successfully transferred to a university to pursue a B.S. in Computer Science: Information Security & Assurance where I will start this fall.
~5 years of applied IT experience in networking, server administration, and etc. with certifications.
I am asking for 2 years of assistance.

Don't fret though, many sites still haven't called out yet so don't rule yourself out until you get a final confirmation that you didn't make the cut. Stay hopeful!

aaronallblacks

Post by aaronallblacks »

According to a previous post from the user copperLaminate,

"viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1236&hilit=received+phone+interview

For everyone's reference, it seems like 2016 people received an e-mail from a SF to set up a phone interview at Feb 16th at the earliest, and March 18th at the latest. Interestingly, Aberdeen for example had phone interviews at both of those extremes.

I think the moral is that this procedure is completely unpredictable and don't count yourself out or in until you see it in writing."

It's not over yet folks!

SMART25

Post by SMART25 »

Date: 2/22
Facility: SMC- LAAFB

BigCheeser

Post by BigCheeser »

Have any life science/ pre med students been contacted to be interviewed. From what it sounds like, it appears that the majority of the people that are being interviewed have been engineer majors. So just wondering if any of my kind have been contacted.

biochemist

Post by biochemist »

BigCheeser wrote:Have any life science/ pre med students been contacted to be interviewed. From what it sounds like, it appears that the majority of the people that are being interviewed have been engineer majors. So just wondering if any of my kind have been contacted.
Not an undergrad, but a bioscience PhD. I haven't been contacted yet. I tried reaching out to facilities I chose, but everyone who responded to me sounded like they didn't even know about the fellowship. So, kinda not hopeful anymore. But we'll see.