Duty Preference

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Drive-Thru-Away

Duty Preference

Post by Drive-Thru-Away »

Hi everyone!

I selected no preference in the application for the duty location. I read on here that SFs will look to the people that selected their facility first.

Does that mean I kinda just destroyed my chances and is there anyway to fix that?

Thanks,
Drive-Thru

Pseudo

Re: Duty Preference

Post by Pseudo »

Having preferred SF's means that your application gets forwarded to their facility or that your name is highlighted in a log of applications. Some SF's (like Edwards I've heard) are very picky and only select people who have put them as their first choice. However, past candidates have reported having gotten calls from facilities not on their list.

Ultimately the DoD and SMART put you in a facility where your skills are most needed, people have gotten selected for facilities that were not on their list at all. You're still as likely to receive interviews as well, just depends on your app and who needs what. Perhaps you won't get into those picky research facilities with high-security clearance demands, but since you made it past the first round your chance is as good as everyone else's (which is about 20%).

Good Luck!