How early would you expect an interview request?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Katie

How early would you expect an interview request?

Post by Katie »

To those who have already received an email for an interview, or to those who have already received the SMART fellowship,

I am considering reaching out to the facilities I have requested as suggested in another topic on this forum. But I'm curious as to how early I would expect an email from a facility regarding an interview request?

Also, I'm wondering if any past interviewees can shed some light on how the phone interviews tend to go? Are these similar to a sit in job interview with basic "weakness/strength" questions? Or are they lead by more specific questions regarding how much research I've done on the facility?

I am a PhD student, in biochemistry, and my top choice is Edgewood (ECBC). If there is any information past applicants have had with interviews at this facility, I would be incredibly grateful!

Good luck to all the semi-finalists!!

copperLaminate

Re: How early would you expect an interview request?

Post by copperLaminate »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1236&hilit=received+phone+interview

For everyone's reference, it seems like 2016 people received an e-mail from a SF to set up a phone interview at Feb 16th at the earliest, and March 18th at the latest. Interestingly, Aberdeen for example had phone interviews at both of those extremes.

I think the moral is that this procedure is completely unpredictable and don't count yourself out or in until you see it in writing.

biochemist

Post by biochemist »

Katie wrote:To those who have already received an email for an interview, or to those who have already received the SMART fellowship,

I am considering reaching out to the facilities I have requested as suggested in another topic on this forum. But I'm curious as to how early I would expect an email from a facility regarding an interview request?

Also, I'm wondering if any past interviewees can shed some light on how the phone interviews tend to go? Are these similar to a sit in job interview with basic "weakness/strength" questions? Or are they lead by more specific questions regarding how much research I've done on the facility?

I am a PhD student, in biochemistry, and my top choice is Edgewood (ECBC). If there is any information past applicants have had with interviews at this facility, I would be incredibly grateful!

Good luck to all the semi-finalists!!

Hey Katie! Also PhD student in Biochemistry. I was wondering how you'd plan on contacting facilities? Straight to a lab? I tried looking for people through publications, but it is a lot harder than looking for a potential PhD/post-doc advisor in the academe. Edgewood is my 3rd choice. I have USARMIID as a first choice.

Good luck to you as well!

remmett

Post by remmett »

I received an email today asking for an interview so that is consistent with last year.

ralmonte

Post by ralmonte »

Same, I got a request for an interview email this morning.

Post by Guest »

Could you please say the facility?