What are my odds?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
aaronallblacks

What are my odds?

Post by aaronallblacks »

Hey all I'm new to the board! My name's Aaron I'm 20 from Maryland.

I'm a community college student about to finish up my AAS in Computer Information Systems: PC & Network Management focus and have applied for the next two years for my studies which will be going towards attaining my BS in Computer Science: Cyber Security focus.

Some facts about me:
*I have a 4.0 cumulative GPA
*I will have a honors associate's degree from a Middle States recognized community college
*I will be pursuing my bachelor's at a Middle States recognized, University System of Maryland university
*I have my CompTIA A+ certification and TestOut PC Pro, Server Pro, Network Pro, and Security Pro certifications
*I have 4 years of experience in IT doing HIPAA-compliant IT for dentists and doctors focusing in on the Windows Server 2012 environment, networking, and security
*I am a member and vice president of the Phi Theta Kappa community college honors society
*I am a vice president of another student group

Computer Science students were the highest group of applicants enrolled in SMART last year, making up 23% of all applicants accepted. I have a squeaky clean background (AmeriCorps, NYC Board of Education, ATF-compliant gun salesman) and a plentiful amount of family members working for the government, contractors, and armed services.

Getting into SMART would mean the world for me and I was just wondering if my odds look bright or bleak because this would be my only real way of both affording my bachelor's degree and getting gainful employment in a government agency post-graduation.

Also fellow computer science applicants: Which aspect of computer science are you focusing on in school and how well do you think it will apply when you start actually working for the DoD? I hope cyber security is worthwhile to them, if not I may have to go to the FBI or NSA.

Other applicants: How is your fall semester going currently? Where are you in the application stage?

I look forward to meeting and talking with you all, i hope we can all get in together, maybe we'll see each other on-site!

dfrancis3

Re: What are my odds?

Post by dfrancis3 »

No one can tell you if you the odds. No one, the DOD, ASEE, no one knows until they look at the stack of applicants

superskbman

Re: What are my odds?

Post by superskbman »

I believe in my year 2011. 4000 people applied and they accepted 300.
Read my Blog at www.FamVestor.com

Learn about creating Passive Income, Being Frugal, Living Optimalisticaly, and designing a wholesome lifestyle all for the purpose of Investing in your Family.