2017 funding, retention applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
jmyers1000

2017 funding, retention applicants

Post by jmyers1000 »

So I am applying as a retention application from Hill AFB. Two organizations on base have asked to be my sponsors and I have been told I am the only retention applicant for my base. I am currently working for one of the sponsoring organizations, but want to select the other for various reasons. I plan on starting a PhD in Electrical Engineering Fall of 2017. Masters in Engineering, GPA 3.71, GRE scores verbal 161 quant 151 (while since I did any math - been in leadership positions last 8 years). Few questions:

1. Can my current organization force me to select them?
2. Does the fact that I am the only retention applicant improve my chances of being selected?
3. What is the funding status for programs starting next year?

Thanks!

SomeAnswers

Re: 2017 funding, retention applicants

Post by SomeAnswers »

jmyers1000 wrote:So I am applying as a retention application from Hill AFB. Two organizations on base have asked to be my sponsors and I have been told I am the only retention applicant for my base. I am currently working for one of the sponsoring organizations, but want to select the other for various reasons. I plan on starting a PhD in Electrical Engineering Fall of 2017. Masters in Engineering, GPA 3.71, GRE scores verbal 161 quant 151 (while since I did any math - been in leadership positions last 8 years). Few questions:

1. Can my current organization force me to select them?
2. Does the fact that I am the only retention applicant improve my chances of being selected?
3. What is the funding status for programs starting next year?

Thanks!
1) No, they can't. However, if you have multiple offers from SF's, you don't get to pick. SMART picks for you. You can list preferences but you're not guaranteed they follow the list if both facilities want you (they may pick the one you want to leave -- if they do, you can always decline the scholarship).

2) No idea there. It might help. But to my knowledge, SMART and its applicant reviewing committee(s) look at retention applicants as a whole and compare across the board.

3) Not much help there-- don't know the answer, unfortunately.

jmyers1000

Post by jmyers1000 »

Thanks for the answers.

One other question - the university I plan to attend is about 60 miles from my residence. Will the SMART program help pay for university housing?

SomeAnswers

Post by SomeAnswers »

jmyers1000 wrote:Thanks for the answers.

One other question - the university I plan to attend is about 60 miles from my residence. Will the SMART program help pay for university housing?
You will get the same stipend as everyone else who has the same degree qualifications as you (i.e. undergrad, grad, etc.) throughout the year. You won't necessarily get help paying for housing, but what you do with the stipend is completely up to you (minus the estimated taxes you have to pay quarterly on it).