Community college applicant

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
calicc

Community college applicant

Post by calicc »

I attend community college as an undergrad and I'm interested in applying for SMART with concentration in Comp. sci. What are my chances compared to people attending 4-year uni.? Is there anyone who was/is in my position (applying as a community college student for SMART)?

DB_Ark7

Re: Community college applicant

Post by DB_Ark7 »

Also wondering about this as a transfer student! In theory, I would imagine that they'd be willing to issue the award since you're still getting your full education but you're spending less time in university than the usual 4 or 6 or more years.

Post by Guest »

I was awarded the scholarship (2011) while still attending community college.

aaronallblacks

Post by aaronallblacks »

I'm in community college now about to finish up my second year and gain my AAS. I'm a first-time applicant but here's the facts from last year:

*23% of all accepted applicants were in the computer science field (The biggest subset of enrollees)
*The mean GPA for those accepted was a 3.75 on a 4.0 scale
*Many applicants either had relevant work experience in their field, memorable internships, or served the country in some way before applying whether it be armed forces, AmeriCorps, Red Cross, etc.
*13% of all applicants were accepted and enrolled

I'm doing CS with a focus in cyber security for my transfer and I think the odds are in our favor as CS applicants.