what are my chances?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

what are my chances?

Post by Guest »

I just recently found out about the SMART scholarship and this website. I'm a nontraditional student, returning to college in my thirties. I'm set to graduate community college with an associate in science, pre-engineering, and plan to go to university in the spring to finish my electrical engineering degree. While I'm technically an "old guy" I've kept a 4.0 and have, as of right now, about 56 credit hours accumulated. I've been on the dean's list every semester, received an award in mathematics, and belong to a honor society. I've got 12 years of motorcycle experience which involves a lot of electrical and computer work but no work experience in an actual electrical engineering field.

Does anyone have any input as far as what my chances would be of actually winning a SMART scholarship?

Re: what are my chances?

Post by guest »

Well, I am curious because I am nearly in an identical situation as you; except I've worked in the automotive industry and am going into mechanical engineering. Either way good luck to you, sounds like were both overqualified. I only worry about the part of the application that says you must be currently enrolled in a regionally accredited university as a community college is not ABET certified for mechanical/electrical engineering.

Post by Guest »

That's why I'm enrolling at my local University for Spring 2011!

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

If you have been accepted into an ABET program, but are still at another school, you are fine. No one is really over qualified for the scholarship. It's all based on DoD needs. If someone has 12 years of practical experience in a related application, but only recently got their degree, I think the largest issue will be starting working with 'kids' just out of school.

If you're interested in your chances. Look at the stickied thread for the selection process and some of the early threads from last year's application period.