Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
IhopeIgetitthistime

Re: Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Post by IhopeIgetitthistime »

Guest wrote:
IhopeIgetitthistime wrote:I just got a call from the Navy liason and he asked if I was still available for a second round of awards. He told me they would send out those emials by the end of the week, but they would only send emails to those who got rewards.
Would you please let us know if/ when you get an email from SMART? If I read your post right you should be getting an email by today if you haven't already received it.
I got an acceptance email today around noon!

Post by Guest »

Yesterday I got a call from an Army liaison (the SF that selected me was through Army, but SMART didn't award me a scholarship), but I wasn't able to answer it because I was in class. I got an email asking if I was still interested in the program, but I wasn't able to respond until after 5pm, so I think i'm gonna have to wait it out this weekend to see if anything happens.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Yesterday I got a call from an Army liaison (the SF that selected me was through Army, but SMART didn't award me a scholarship), but I wasn't able to answer it because I was in class. I got an email asking if I was still interested in the program, but I wasn't able to respond until after 5pm, so I think i'm gonna have to wait it out this weekend to see if anything happens.
Please, Keep us updated.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Yesterday I got a call from an Army liaison (the SF that selected me was through Army, but SMART didn't award me a scholarship), but I wasn't able to answer it because I was in class. I got an email asking if I was still interested in the program, but I wasn't able to respond until after 5pm, so I think i'm gonna have to wait it out this weekend to see if anything happens.
Please, Keep us updated.
Just spoke to the liaison, she pretty much just said that they were doing second round awards now, and wanted to confirm that I was still interested in the program. She said I should know something this week, so hopefully anyone else who's waiting on a potential second round award will hear back soon as well.

Post by Guest »

It's past five now, so it'll be at the earliest tomorrow. I don't know how I'm gonna handle this waiting again haha.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:It's past five now, so it'll be at the earliest tomorrow. I don't know how I'm gonna handle this waiting again haha.
Got an email from SMART today informing me that I had been selected for an award. Hopefully this means that anyone else who was contacted asking if they were still interested in the program is in the same boat.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:It's past five now, so it'll be at the earliest tomorrow. I don't know how I'm gonna handle this waiting again haha.
Got an email from SMART today informing me that I had been selected for an award. Hopefully this means that anyone else who was contacted asking if they were still interested in the program is in the same boat.
Congrata, what is your degree? (BS, MS or PhD?)

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Congrata, what is your degree? (BS, MS or PhD?)
BS. I'm an undergrad freshman right now. (I'll be a sophomore in the fall)

2016results

Post by 2016results »

This is 2016 data. But same email as what we all got.

guest_ne

Post by guest_ne »

the emails we got today were first rounds. i got rejected.

2016results

Post by 2016results »

guest_ne wrote:the emails we got today were first rounds. i got rejected.
from the first round. So it sounds like there's still a second round. Unclear of the size of our second round with the weird budget stuff going on with the whole new president thing.

SMARTRejectee

Post by SMARTRejectee »

Here is my opinion. If you do not get recommended, you are removed from consider in evaluation stage 3. So the second round award is ONLY for those who are RECOMMENDED but did not receive the award due to budget but NOT for those who are not recommended by any SF. So I can safely say that I get rejected. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2016results

Post by 2016results »

SMARTRejectee wrote:Here is my opinion. If you do not get recommended, you are removed from consider in evaluation stage 3. So the second round award is ONLY for those who are RECOMMENDED but did not receive the award due to budget but NOT for those who are not recommended by any SF. So I can safely say that I get rejected. Please correct me if I am wrong.
How do you know you didn't get recommended?

I also would assume recommendations are in an order. So I interviewed with the SMC. There were like 6 of us, he probably ordered us a top choice on. Which would mean I'd be in line for that spot if he got more funding even if I wasn't the top recommendation. Also some people don't do interviews.

Rocknerd

Post by Rocknerd »

Well so far the budget is showing a 10 million dollar increase in the budget for this department so that would definitely work in our favor.

guest_ne

Post by guest_ne »

2016results wrote:
SMARTRejectee wrote:Here is my opinion. If you do not get recommended, you are removed from consider in evaluation stage 3. So the second round award is ONLY for those who are RECOMMENDED but did not receive the award due to budget but NOT for those who are not recommended by any SF. So I can safely say that I get rejected. Please correct me if I am wrong.
How do you know you didn't get recommended?

I also would assume recommendations are in an order. So I interviewed with the SMC. There were like 6 of us, he probably ordered us a top choice on. Which would mean I'd be in line for that spot if he got more funding even if I wasn't the top recommendation. Also some people don't do interviews.
do you know which places don't interview? i never had an interview but i had temp closed, a top application, and my school said 1 award was given for 2017 for navy which is what i applied for...

Post by Guest »

guest_ne wrote:
2016results wrote: do you know which places don't interview? i never had an interview but i had temp closed, a top application, and my school said 1 award was given for 2017 for navy which is what i applied for...
Sorry I have no idea :/

What do you mean by top application?

10 million increase is a lot of possibe awards though

guest_ne

Post by guest_ne »

Guest wrote:
guest_ne wrote:
2016results wrote: do you know which places don't interview? i never had an interview but i had temp closed, a top application, and my school said 1 award was given for 2017 for navy which is what i applied for...

like i met far above the requirements

AngryRejectee

Post by AngryRejectee »

Stop on relying on SMART datas. The people working for smart are 1980s robots. That means the bad clumsy ones, just like C3PO.

Post by Guest »

guest_ne wrote:
Guest wrote:\

Test score/gpa requirements???

I honestly think that has little impact on your actual selection chances past the finalist selection.

Post by Guest »

AngryRejectee wrote:Stop on relying on SMART datas. The people working for smart are 1980s robots. That means the bad clumsy ones, just like C3PO.
Dude. Calm down. I get it they screwed up your chances but that doesn't just mean we should all give up.

guest_ne

Post by guest_ne »

Guest wrote:
guest_ne wrote:
Guest wrote:\

I honestly think that has little impact on your actual selection chances past the finalist selection.
i have a 3.8, but i have over 30 hours of volunteer work and engineering experience

Post by Guest »

guest_ne wrote:
Guest wrote: like i met far above the requirements

i have a 3.8, but i have over 30 hours of volunteer work and engineering experience[/quote]

That's great and I mean this in a matter of fact way, not a you don't deserve it way, I can guarantee you 50%+ of these people have the qualifications in volunteer work/engineering experiences/research etc or they wouldn't have applied.

The DOD's needs vary greatly year to year. Maybe they just didn't hire your major, or they hired someone with a shorter outlook on when they'd actual start work or they were looking for someone with a 3 year scholarship before working full time etc etc etc.

Again I still think a decent number haven't been awarded.

AngryRejectee

Post by AngryRejectee »

Guest wrote:
AngryRejectee wrote:Stop on relying on SMART datas. The people working for smart are 1980s robots. That means the bad clumsy ones, just like C3PO.
Dude. Calm down. I get it they screwed up your chances but that doesn't just mean we should all give up.
I'm not trying to be "that guy" mate. Think about it, 999/1000 people offered the grant accept it. The odds of a STEM program getting more funding under TRUMP is litterally the same as getting strike by lightning, I.e. Only a few of you guys getting waitlisted right now will receive the award. Be realistic, I'm a scientist, one of the good ones. I only come to conclusions based on the availabile data that are presented to me.

Post by Guest »

AngryRejectee wrote:
Guest wrote:
I'm not trying to be "that guy" mate. Think about it, 999/1000 people offered the grant accept it. The odds of a STEM program getting more funding under TRUMP is litterally the same as getting strike by lightning, I.e. Only a few of you guys getting waitlisted right now will receive the award. Be realistic, I'm a scientist, one of the good ones. I only come to conclusions based on the availabile data that are presented to me.
He probably doesn't even know this program exists. He knows the big picture and is pretty clueless to everything else. So I'm really not convinced he had anything to do with DOD STEM funds. He made a big fuss about NASA education then did nothing.

Post by Guest »

AngryRejectee wrote:
Guest wrote:
Bro..... maybe they threw out your application due to spelling errors, if your post is anything to go by *shrug*