Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
AngryRejectee wrote:
Guest wrote:
Dude. Calm down. I get it they screwed up your chances but that doesn't just mean we should all give up.
I'm not trying to be "that guy" mate. Think about it, 999/1000 people offered the grant accept it. The odds of a STEM program getting more funding under TRUMP is litterally the same as getting strike by lightning, I.e. Only a few of you guys getting waitlisted right now will receive the award. Be realistic, I'm a scientist, one of the good ones. I only come to conclusions based on the availabile data that are presented to me.
Bro..... maybe they threw out your application due to spelling errors, if your post is anything to go by *shrug*
damn, maybe that's why I didn't get it. I can't spell to save my life and I didn't have my mom read it over

SMARTRejectee

Post by SMARTRejectee »

2016results wrote:
SMARTRejectee wrote:Here is my opinion. If you do not get recommended, you are removed from consider in evaluation stage 3. So the second round award is ONLY for those who are RECOMMENDED but did not receive the award due to budget but NOT for those who are not recommended by any SF. So I can safely say that I get rejected. Please correct me if I am wrong.
How do you know you didn't get recommended?

I also would assume recommendations are in an order. So I interviewed with the SMC. There were like 6 of us, he probably ordered us a top choice on. Which would mean I'd be in line for that spot if he got more funding even if I wasn't the top recommendation. Also some people don't do interviews.
I got an interview too. I actually called back to the interviewer. But the interviewer said he did not know the outcome. So I presume it is a polite way to say that he did not recommend me.

Slim Chance

Post by Slim Chance »

Guest wrote:
guest wrote:Did any of your emails say you were waitlisted ? Is there a waiting list ?
No idea on the waiting list. My email did not specifically state that but it did say the following...

"Thank you for applying for the Science, Mathematics, And Research for Transformation (SMART) Defense Education Program. Unfortunately at this time the Department of Defense has not selected you for an award. Additional rounds of awards may be issued in the coming weeks. You may be reconsidered for an award at that time.

If the Department of Defense is interested in making an award to you at a later date we will notify you. Otherwise this will be your final notification regarding the 2016 application cycle. Please consider reapplying in the future if applicable to your academic situation. We appreciate your interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

American Society for Engineering Education

1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
https://smart.asee.org
smart@asee.org"

I think there might be a wait list because I got the EXACT same email last year that you got and this year I got the same email but the underligned sentence was not present in my email this year. That is, this year I got:

Thank you for applying for the Science, Mathematics, And Research for Transformation (SMART) Defense Education Program. The Department of Defense will be continuing to make awards over the next few weeks. If the Department of Defense is interested in making an award to you at a later date you will be notified.

If you do not receive further correspondence, this will serve as your final notification regarding the 2017 application cycle. Please consider reapplying in the future if applicable to your academic situation. We appreciate your interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

American Society for Engineering Education

1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
https://www.smartscholarship.org/
smart@asee.org

Slim Chance

Post by Slim Chance »

I'm dumb. I didn't realize I was replying to someone's post from last year. Maybe all of the rejection awards were worded that way this year. Can anyone comment on what message they got this year? No wonder I didn't get the "SMART" award...

Post by Guest »

Slim Chance wrote:I'm dumb. I didn't realize I was replying to someone's post from last year. Maybe all of the rejection awards were worded that way this year. Can anyone comment on what message they got this year? No wonder I didn't get the "SMART" award...
Your differences are exactly correct! I got the same message as you. So if these 2016 peeps got that and still were later awarded ours is worded in such a way that it seems like more would be awarded.