Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Post by Guest »

I was unfortunately not accepted to for the scholarship at this time. Does anyone know how many awards are given out usually after the initial awards are given?

Re: Not Accepted. Chances of later award?

Post by Guest »

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat.

Post by Guest »

From past years, awards are distributed again based on budget changes and also awards are made available when people decline them for various reasons. People have received awards into the summer. Sometimes it is best to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised if it comes your way!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:From past years, awards are distributed again based on budget changes and also awards are made available when people decline them for various reasons. People have received awards into the summer. Sometimes it is best to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised if it comes your way!
Yeah that's what I am going to do. I am just going to accept the fact that I didn't get it and on the slim chance that SMART changes their mind then I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Post by guest »

Did any of your emails say you were waitlisted ? Is there a waiting list ?

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Did any of your emails say you were waitlisted ? Is there a waiting list ?
No idea on the waiting list. My email did not specifically state that but it did say the following...

"Thank you for applying for the Science, Mathematics, And Research for Transformation (SMART) Defense Education Program. Unfortunately at this time the Department of Defense has not selected you for an award. Additional rounds of awards may be issued in the coming weeks. You may be reconsidered for an award at that time.

If the Department of Defense is interested in making an award to you at a later date we will notify you. Otherwise this will be your final notification regarding the 2016 application cycle. Please consider reapplying in the future if applicable to your academic situation. We appreciate your interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

American Society for Engineering Education

1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
https://smart.asee.org
smart@asee.org"

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Did any of your emails say you were waitlisted ? Is there a waiting list ?
I do not think that there is a wait-list. I got the same email.

Post by guest »

Cheer up !! So far only around 100 people have accepted the award. Data from previous years show that at least 200 people receive the award each year. I'm expecting a lot more awards to be given out post April 23 !

guest01010101

Post by guest01010101 »

guest wrote:Cheer up !! So far only around 100 people have accepted the award. Data from previous years show that at least 200 people receive the award each year. I'm expecting a lot more awards to be given out post April 23 !
How do you know how many have accepted?

Post by guest »

guest01010101 wrote:
guest wrote:Cheer up !! So far only around 100 people have accepted the award. Data from previous years show that at least 200 people receive the award each year. I'm expecting a lot more awards to be given out post April 23 !
I counted !! I compared school data before and after award announcement (https://smart.asee.org/program_stats/school_directory).

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
guest01010101 wrote:
I counted !! I compared school data before and after award announcement (https://smart.asee.org/program_stats/school_directory).

Not to be a downer but just because only 100 people have accepted so far doesn't mean that only 100 awards have been given out. There are still 2 weeks to accept the award so many more could accept it

Post by guest »

guest wrote:
Not to be a downer but just because only 100 people have accepted so far doesn't mean that only 100 awards have been given out. There are still 2 weeks to accept the award so many more could accept it
Its true that there is around 2 weeks to the deadline. The website is still adding in the numbers. It is approx 123 right now. But here on I expect it to be adding fewer people everyday (ie, fewer people accepting). So there is still room in the cohort when comparing it with the previous year(207), which itself was on the lower side. From what I read they are allowed to accept up to 300 students.

Post by guest »

Counted 144 acceptances till now...

Post by guest »

Approx. 166 people accepted the offer as of now..

Post by guest »

Around 190 acceptances till now..

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Around 190 acceptances till now..
how do you get these numbers?

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
From here https://smart.asee.org/program_stats/school_directory

Comparing data before and after award announcement..

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
From here https://smart.asee.org/program_stats/school_directory

Comparing data before and after award announcement..
How can you see the table from before, if it is not present anymore.

Post by guest »

^^ When some people accepted the award through the loophole a week before the original announcement, the school directory also was instantly updating. I saved that data prior to official announcement.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:^^ When some people accepted the award through the loophole a week before the original announcement, the school directory also was instantly updating. I saved that data prior to official announcement.
Clever... Nice!!!

Post by guest »

Its 202 now... Georgia Tech gets the most awards..

ucmaroon

Post by ucmaroon »

There would be awards coming out depending on the availability of your DOD.
Got mine today from Air Force.

Post by guest »

ucmaroon wrote:There would be awards coming out depending on the availability of your DOD.
Got mine today from Air Force.
That is excellent news ! There ia 209 acceptances as of now compared to 207 total last year. I think there will be more awards coming out soon. Keep an eye out for the email :)

IhopeIgetitthistime

Post by IhopeIgetitthistime »

I just got a call from the Navy liason and he asked if I was still available for a second round of awards. He told me they would send out those emials by the end of the week, but they would only send emails to those who got rewards.

Post by Guest »

IhopeIgetitthistime wrote:I just got a call from the Navy liason and he asked if I was still available for a second round of awards. He told me they would send out those emials by the end of the week, but they would only send emails to those who got rewards.
Would you please let us know if/ when you get an email from SMART? If I read your post right you should be getting an email by today if you haven't already received it.