Contacted for interview?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Contacted for interview?

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?
Defense Intelligence Agency
2. How did they first contact you?
Phone call; left a message basically saying "Calling with regards to your app, here's my name and number, give me a call.
3. What was the interview process like?
To be honest, a little awkward! I thought they would have more questions.

It sounded like they basically call you if they have one or two questions they want answered, and then ask you those and are like "okay, good luck!"
4. What is your major?
Biology/Microbiology
5. What type of degree are you pursing (bachelor's, master's, PH. D)
2nd year PhD
6. Is there any other info you would like to share?
I put in my app a few other places as SFs, notably USAMRIID. But now these places are no longer on the list!

The forums have a few posts saying this happened a few years ago as well. And there aren't any people on the recipient forum that are at these SFs. It makes me wonder if they ever accept students! lol.

But happy to be in the top candidate pool, I wish everybody good luck!

Also a second year Biology/Microbiology PhD who had the exact same experience with the Defense Intelligence Agency. I was a bit surprised as well at how brief the interview was compared to some of the other facilities I've interviewed with.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?
Defense Intelligence Agency
Phone call; left a message basically saying "Calling with regards to your app, here's my name and number, give me a call.
To be honest, a little awkward! I thought they would have more questions.

It sounded like they basically call you if they have one or two questions they want answered, and then ask you those and are like "okay, good luck!"
4. What is your major?
Biology/Microbiology
2nd year PhD
I put in my app a few other places as SFs, notably USAMRIID. But now these places are no longer on the list!

The forums have a few posts saying this happened a few years ago as well. And there aren't any people on the recipient forum that are at these SFs. It makes me wonder if they ever accept students! lol.

But happy to be in the top candidate pool, I wish everybody good luck!

Were you ever contacted by USAMRIID? I was contacted by them over a month ago about scheduling a longer interview and never heard back.

Post by Guest »

Hopeful wrote:
Guest wrote:
Hopeful wrote:1. Which Sponsoring Facility(s)?
The Naval Oceanographic Office in MS

Via email. They said they wanted to have a phone interview for a possible sponsorship with the SMART porgram.

Odd. They ask me maybe two questions about my skills, weren't too concerned about my work ethic, and then spent a good amount of time just telling me about what the job would entail and what it's like to live there. It was basically 30 minutes of 3 people asking a few questions and then talking to me about what it's like to live there.

4. What is your major?
Marine Science

Bachelor's

I got the email on 3/3 and had the phone interview on 3/4. The job sounds amazing so I'm really excited, but the recipients forum on here has me very wary of this whole program now. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones who gets the award, isn't lied to about the job and pay from the SF itself, and actually enjoys the job and the people.

Have you received a call from SMART asking for your preference? I had an interview with NAVO as well.
Nope I haven't gotten that call but I'm not too concerned. I didn't interview with another SF and due to the specific nature/application of my degree I feel like most SFs wouldn't want me anyway. So I doubt I got more than one recommendation to choose a preference from. How did your interview go?
It went well, they actually told me to apply for a job there if I don't get SMART. So maybe something will come of it. The only difference between you and me is that I'm going for a Master's.

Post by guest »

To those of you who were interviewed.. Did they tell you that they will recommend you ??

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:To those of you who were interviewed.. Did they tell you that they will recommend you ??
I was interviewed, but they didn't tell me during the call that they had selected/recommended me. They invited me to tour their facilities via email a few weeks later and let me know that I was one of the applicants who they selected.

However, don't be discouraged if you haven't heard anything, as some people on here said that they were offered the scholarship without ever hearing from an SF.