Drug usage

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
yeaman123

Drug usage

Post by yeaman123 »

Has anyone been approved for using marijuana less than 6 times during the last 7 year period. Used it 7 months ago but will never do it again.

Chris Moulder

Re: Drug usage

Post by Chris Moulder »

yeaman123 wrote:Has anyone been approved for using marijuana less than 6 times during the last 7 year period. Used it 7 months ago but will never do it again.
It will not necessarily rule you out. It depends on how strong your academics are and other aspects of your security profile.

Generally speaking, a limited history of marijuana that you are truthful about from the beginning is acceptable.

yeaman123

Post by yeaman123 »

Would it eliminate me from obtaining top secret clearance later on?
also im married and in the process of filing for my wifes papers. She is from trinidad. She lives with me. Would that also be an issue?

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

As you move higher up, it could matter more. However, that's more of a discussion with your security advisor once you are accepted.

The wife could be an issue, but I really have not idea how the government views Trinidad with respect to its security integrity.