Do I have any chance?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
cdbongo

Do I have any chance?

Post by cdbongo »

I'm a college sophomore at Colorado School of Mines. I have a 3.76 gpa, and enough credits to make me a junior. As of next semester I will have completed almost all of my technical prereqs (calc/phys/chem/statics/econ/etc.). I have four years of work experience, three in a grocery store as a manager, one as a traffic control flagger, but no research experience. I was HS valedictorian and 29act (doubt they consider those). I'm not in, or plan on being in, any clubs/sports/organizations etc. (besides choir which isn't applicable). My major is undeclared right now but It will be engineering, either mechanical or electrical, probably EE.

As low as my GPA is and without any research experience, would this even be worth the several hours for me to fill out the application? I'm aware of the conditions (full tuition, no r&b, summer internships, 1yr service per yr aid). Give me some honest feedback because we all know how time consuming these apps are!

Much Thanks!

Chris Moulder

Re: Do I have any chance?

Post by Chris Moulder »

Your GPA is about average for those admitted. You don't have much to set you apart, but a lot comes down to what the bases need. Given the benefits, I would apply.

cdbongo

Re: Do I have any chance?

Post by cdbongo »

I suppose I'll give it a shot.