Junior college transfer

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Sweezy

Junior college transfer

Post by Sweezy »

I recently found out that it is going to take me 2.5-3 years to finish my degree because of pre requisites in a sequence. I am pursuing a 4 year degree, but attended a junior college my first two years and am behind in the sequence. If I were selected for the SMART program, how difficult would it be to change my expected graduation date from SPR 2021 to DEC or SPR of 2021/2022? Basically, how hard is it to push your graduation back due to an issue like this?

advice

Re: Junior college transfer

Post by advice »

Sweezy wrote:I recently found out that it is going to take me 2.5-3 years to finish my degree because of pre requisites in a sequence. I am pursuing a 4 year degree, but attended a junior college my first two years and am behind in the sequence. If I were selected for the SMART program, how difficult would it be to change my expected graduation date from SPR 2021 to DEC or SPR of 2021/2022? Basically, how hard is it to push your graduation back due to an issue like this?
So I am not in your position, but I did ask my Smart Coordinator about this when I first received the award. As far as I know, if you get the award you can request to change your award date through a form LMI provides online to the awardees. I'm sure many people have had to do this because of credits, but I can't recall if SMART would allow you to extend your award date to the specific graduation date you want or to add just another semester. It's nothing too big to worry about. Hope that helps and best of luck!

SMARTgirl

Post by SMARTgirl »

Good evening,
I had to request an extension on my scholarship as soon as I received it. I was in the same boat as you, went to a junior college and received my AA but the new university required so many credits that it was impossible to complete without taking full summer terms.

They granted my extension almost immediately and amended my offer letter to reflect the additional semester. Each Sponsoring Facility is different though, and the one that you get might not be so lenient. Work with your coordinator and explain to them the problem, and you have a better chance.

Good lick!

SMARTgirl

Post by SMARTgirl »

Erm.... *luck. Lol