Picking Facilities

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Smart hopeful

Picking Facilities

Post by Smart hopeful »

So this is my second time trying for this scholarship and I feel I made the mistake of picking the I don't care option last year in regards to choosing a facility. I have 2 places in mind where I'd like to go. What should I put in for the third option? Any help would be graciously accepted.

kbl2017

Re: Picking Facilities

Post by kbl2017 »

What are your top two choices? Someone on this forum may be able to verify that they do still accept scholarship peeps applications.

I personally did SMC, our selection guy said he wouldn't pick people who didn't put their facility because maybe they wouldn't like LA. The other thing is, I spent a decent time researching the three I put and I made sure to include why I would be an asset to them and why I would like to work for them in one of the paragraph response.

Smart hopeful

Post by Smart hopeful »

I'm thinking either Hill AFB because it's closer to home, and then Wright-Patterson because it's closer to where my family currently resides. I'm also interested in any of the Naval facilities. I'm an EE major if that's helpful.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Smart hopeful wrote:I'm thinking either Hill AFB because it's closer to home, and then Wright-Patterson because it's closer to where my family currently resides. I'm also interested in any of the Naval facilities. I'm an EE major if that's helpful.
maybe try picking one right near your school that also sounds interesting for your third one!

Guest2017

Post by Guest2017 »

I got the award this past year and on my visit, my SF told me that since I selected them I ended up at the top of their list on applications. It also makes your application stronger if they see you actually want to work for their specific facility since they are the ones that make their recommendation to SMART. You also should do research and list facilities that line up with your interests and degree level to maximize your chances.

Pseudo

Post by Pseudo »

Last year was Army Cyber Commands first year in SMART, they have two locations, Ft.Meade MD & one in Augusta GA. I got accepted to Ft.Meade for the 2017 run of SMART. Since they just started with the program they're are little unorganized but because they're so new they are looking for additional applicants. If you place them in one of your picks for facilities, your name will be highlighted in the roster of all applicants (such as it is for any of your picks) and may increase your chances of being chosen for the scholarship since they can not be as picky as facilities with an established SMARt applicant base.

As far as I'm aware they are mostly looking for undergraduate computer science majors, you should be able to work in a team environment and be a little tolerant of any instability that might come with them using this new program. As far as I know, summer internships may be held at FT.Meade, the Pentagon, Augusta, and Ft.Belvoir.

I would still suggest doing some research on them, or any of the sponsoring facilities you apply to. Including information on how you might benefit their program or how you fit into their mission will make you stand out as a candidate. As for the other facilities, the order of your placement can matter to some of the more selective facilities such as Edwards & Aberdeen proving grounds- who consider the applicants who placed them first on their list.

Good luck!!!

Post by Guest »

Hello.

What majors does Army Cyber want specifically?